How can we help you today?
Start a new topic

Failover server, not working properly with Identity failover

Hi,

I'm having a hard time with the failover server. Was never able to get it to work properly. I don't think the way it's currently done, is intuitive, and even harder to provision and program. DNSSrv is even more annoying to setup because not all the manufacturers support it, or even implement it properly.

Using Yealink and Grandstream, it's extremely simple and straight forward. Simply put the backup IP and if the main server goes offline, then it automatically failovers to the backup server. 

Do you plan on implementing this type of setup? It is currently the only feature swaying us away from Snom sets. 

Currently, I'm updating the phones to 8.7.5.44. This includes all the Snom 3xx and 7xx. I think the failover idea that is currently implemented is very poor compared to the rest of the other brands out there.

Any update? Are you planning on introducing this type of failover? Or the second identity process?

Hello Chris,

with version 10 (https://service.snom.com/display/wiki/10.1.33.33)

we deliver / address what you mention in your intro: "DNSSrv is even more annoying to setup because not all the manufacturers support it, or even implement it properly."

There was plenty of room for improvement, regarding this NAPTR and SRV DNS records based failover support, - no question. We are convinced we recently nailed it:

@Snom we did spent a lot of efforts & expertise in proper implementation & support of this in many ways carrier grade failover (where 2 nodes support is not worth a mention).

Finally our support for NAPTR and SRV DNS records failover in Version 10 is approved by a minimum of 3 major European carriers, operating multiple 10k of our phones.

- - -

But I agree, that the simple and straight forward active & backup server scenario has it's value and importance depending on the project needs.

Personally, I am inclined to at least discuss and "challenge" this topic internally with our team on next opportunity.

Will try to provide a response regarding the result soon.

Note: please do understand that any improvements / new features etc. will only be implemented to Version 10, - limited to phone models supported on V10 respectively.

Thanks and greetings from Berlin,

Jan

Jan Boguslawski

Product Owner Snom

Login or Signup to post a comment