How can we help you today?
Start a new topic
Answered

PoE and Power Brick used at the same time

Would having PoE and a power brick plugged into a Snom phone or MeetingPoint at the same time cause any problems? Are the phones and MeetingPoint designed to handle this situation? Could it break the phone or MeetingPoint?

I had a MeetingPoint that died. When I replaced it the customer had PoE and a the Snom power adapter plugged into the MeetingPoint.

Best Answer

Alan,

The PoE Switch should detect if the phone is drawing current and sourcing its power from the PoE Switch. The PoE Switch should then stop providing power to the phone.  Snom does not test its phone with every vendor's PoE Switches for interoperability and adherence to the IEEE standard. With that being said, it would be reasonable either use external power, PoE or disable PoE on the ports when external power is used and the phone is connected to a PoE port. If you have read a forum posting from Snom Support advising not to do it, then I would suggest that is the answer.

Regards,

Snom Support

Alan,

It is not an uncommon to have the phone sourcing power from a power supply and using the PoE connection as a backup for redundancy purposes. This should not cause the Snom MeetingPoint to fail.

Regards,

Snom Support

Just to be clear, Snom's official position is that using PoE and an external power supply will not damage the phone. This assumes that the PoE and power supply are functioning correctly.

The reason I ask for this clarification is that I have read posts from Snom support that it is not recommended.

Answer

Alan,

The PoE Switch should detect if the phone is drawing current and sourcing its power from the PoE Switch. The PoE Switch should then stop providing power to the phone.  Snom does not test its phone with every vendor's PoE Switches for interoperability and adherence to the IEEE standard. With that being said, it would be reasonable either use external power, PoE or disable PoE on the ports when external power is used and the phone is connected to a PoE port. If you have read a forum posting from Snom Support advising not to do it, then I would suggest that is the answer.

Regards,

Snom Support

What Snom is trying to state in a round about way is the POE switch (not the phone) duty to sense the phone being powered by another source (brick, some devices USB3, Firewire, etc) under the IEEE standard.  If the POE switch fails to perform this function prior to delivering power to the ETH port then unexpected results / damage may occur.

Login or Signup to post a comment