How can we help you today?
Start a new topic
Answered

M700 - Import Local Phonebook - Special Character (Firmware BSV355)

Dear all,

I'm looking for a solution to import special characters like german umlauts (ä,ö,ü) to local phonebooks.

Firmware BSV355B16 added the feature to upload local phonebooks to single extensions via the webGUI.

I've followed the same way like creating lists for the central phonebook, described in the Snom_M700_M300_Admin_Guide (page 41-43).

Uploading phonebooks via the interface works quite well, txt-files as well as xml files, except of special charatcers.

Since xml supports utf-8 standard I've assumed the firmware do as well therfor I've tried to replace the umlauts by its HTML-Entity,UTF Codepositin UTF hex code, UTF decimal value, UTF hexadeicmal value. But non of them worked.

E.g. ü -> ü or U+00FC or c3 bc or  ü or ü

Does anyone know a way to import special characters to the phonebooks via the web interface?

Tested with Snom M700 multicell system, with M65 and M85 handsets. (All updated to firmware 355B21)

Best regards,

Sebastian

Best Answer
Dear Alberto,

thank you very much for your very helpful answer.
Whenever I tried to upload the phonebooks using different methods the files are encoded as utf-8. I've tried it with txt files and xml files and both work when they are set to ANSI.
Since I prefer the xml Method here is how the file content must look like, maybe this is helpful for anyone else:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1" standalone="yes"?>
<IPPhoneDirectory>
	<DirectoryEntry>
		<Name>Name 1</Name>
		<Telephone>123</Telephone>
		<Office>456</Office>->
		<Mobile>789</Mobile>
	</DirectoryEntry>
	<DirectoryEntry>
		<Name>Name 2</Name>
		<Telephone>963</Telephone>
		<Office></Office>->
		<Mobile>741</Mobile>
	</DirectoryEntry>
	<DirectoryEntry>
		<Name>Test Ää</Name>
		<Office></Office>->
		<Mobile></Mobile>
	</DirectoryEntry>
	<DirectoryEntry>
		<Name>Test Öö</Name>
		<Office></Office>->
		<Mobile></Mobile>
	</DirectoryEntry>
</IPPhoneDirectory>

Also thanks for the hint regarding the deleting the phonebook befor importin one new. I've already recognized this while testin but if someone don't know this it is very helpful.

Best regards,
Sebastian

Hi Sebastian

To be able to add those special characters you need to set txt format file to ANSI (you might use a txt editor with that capability). We tested with latest firmware and it works. Please find and examble below in order to test. 

Please be aware you must delete address book using phone GUI before adding it, you want to have all new contacts updated. Because for the moment , import phone just add new contacts to older ones.

Best Regards

Alberto

txt
(97 Bytes)
Answer
Dear Alberto,

thank you very much for your very helpful answer.
Whenever I tried to upload the phonebooks using different methods the files are encoded as utf-8. I've tried it with txt files and xml files and both work when they are set to ANSI.
Since I prefer the xml Method here is how the file content must look like, maybe this is helpful for anyone else:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1" standalone="yes"?>
<IPPhoneDirectory>
	<DirectoryEntry>
		<Name>Name 1</Name>
		<Office>456</Office>->
		<Mobile>789</Mobile>
	</DirectoryEntry>
	<DirectoryEntry>
		<Name>Name 2</Name>
		<Telephone>963</Telephone>
		<Office></Office>->
		<Mobile>741</Mobile>
	</DirectoryEntry>
	<DirectoryEntry>
		<Name>Test Ää</Name>
		<Office></Office>->
		<Mobile></Mobile>
	</DirectoryEntry>
	<DirectoryEntry>
		<Name>Test Öö</Name>
		<Office></Office>->
		<Mobile></Mobile>
	</DirectoryEntry>
</IPPhoneDirectory>

Also thanks for the hint regarding the deleting the phonebook befor importin one new. I've already recognized this while testin but if someone don't know this it is very helpful.

Best regards,
Sebastian

You are welcome Sebastian

Thanks for your feedback!

Login or Signup to post a comment