How can we help you today?
Start a new topic
Answered

Configure Settings - Set all to Read Only

I am trying to set up snom phones so that end users would be able to change Identity X passwords on their own.  It seems the only way to do this is to allow the end user to log in as the administrator on the phones web GUI but doing this basically allows the user to change any setting on the phone unless it is locked down by perm="R" in the "setting URL" file for the specific phone.

So instead of basically listing EVERY option possible in the "setting URL" and making it perm="R" is there not a way to set EVERY option to read-only and then set what you want users to change on their own to perm="RW"?

Or maybe I am going about this the wrong way.  If so would like to know how I can do this.

Best Answer
Hi Duane,

I do not know of a better way than setting all the stuff that shall be immutable by a settings file. You will not even need provisioning afterwards, the settings just stay. Of course some tech-savvy user might set up his own poor-mans-provisioning or upload his own settings file, but at least they could not tamper by mistake.

Probably exporting settings and just removing all lines that shall be user-editable, and then forcing "read only" on all settings that remain, would be the easiest method.

BR
AMH

Answer
Hi Duane,

I do not know of a better way than setting all the stuff that shall be immutable by a settings file. You will not even need provisioning afterwards, the settings just stay. Of course some tech-savvy user might set up his own poor-mans-provisioning or upload his own settings file, but at least they could not tamper by mistake.

Probably exporting settings and just removing all lines that shall be user-editable, and then forcing "read only" on all settings that remain, would be the easiest method.

BR
AMH

Thanks AMH.  I am using a TFTP server on the internet.  Looks like exporting ALL settings makes a .cfg file about the size of 114k.  Will do some testing

Looks like it's a combination of things.  Exporting the settings was good for replacing all perm="" with perm="R" for ALL settings.  When I tried to hard code settings for identity 1 so that the phone could log in the changes I made on the .htm file would never make it to the phone.  I figured there was some kind of html or formatting error somewhere so that didn't help.

At the end of the day I used the snom720-MAC.htm file with ALL setting options to set everything to Read-Only.  Then i replaced the snom720-MAC.htm file with one that just had specific config stuff like Identity, Advanced, Preferences, etc.  So when it reads the specific config stuff from the new file the other settings are still set to read-only.

Hello Duane,

an alternative solution can be to overwrite the default internal phone menu in order to allow the user to change only the needed settings: Here you can find an how-to about.

Best regards,

Thanks Pietro.  I think that is more for the physical phone menu and not the web gui correct?

Login or Signup to post a comment